This fried curried rice dish can be made to accompany different kinds of curry, but we like it best with the thai chickpea curry both dishes are from our favourite thai cook book. Again, it is the pepper that gives the meal its heat. We have also adapted this slightly to taste (see page 22 for original recipe).
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup of basmati rice (this measurement is for uncooked rice which obviously expands once it is cooked)
- 1 potato diced into very small pieces
- 1 onion also diced into very small pieces
- Half a cup of peas
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- Half a tsp of sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- Finely sliced cucumber to garnish
Finely chop the garlic, onions and potatoes and fry in the oil. Keep a medium heat so they soften and go golden brown but not burn. The potatoes need to be cooked through before adding more ingredients. Add the rice and stir through once before adding the rest of the ingredients. Mix through and make sure it is heated through. Slice the cucumbers and garnish the rice dish with the cucumber. The cucumber works so well with the heat of the white pepper and the chickpea curry.